Shopping on a Budget Infographic
Shop Smart and Save
Smart shopping on a budget means knowing what to buy and when.
- Plan meals each week. Keep recipes, grocery lists, receipts and coupons in one place for easy planning.
- Make a shopping list. Be specific. Note quantity needed and which coupons you have.
- Know what you have. Inventory your pantry and fridge each week.
- Save receipts. Each week, compare what you spent to what you budgeted. Adjust your meal planning and budgeting, if needed.
- Collect coupons. Also sign up for rewards cards and e-mail/online coupons if your store has them.
At the Store:
- Compare prices. Store-brand products may be more affordable.
- Use coupons. But compare prices. A coupon isn’t always the best deal.
- Buy in bulk. It may save money. Just be sure you have room in your pantry or freezer.
- Save with seasonal produce. Fruits and vegetables will stay fresh for about a week. Canned or frozen will last longer, may be less expensive and can be just a healthy.
- Don’t check out at checkout. Pay attention at the register to make sure you get discounts and savings.
For more tips on healthy eating, cooking and recipes:
Join Healthy for Good™ for easy tips and tools to build healthy habits for life.